top of page


Psychological Assessments offer insight into an individual's strengths and areas of growth/support by using standardized tools and clinical training to understand the whole person and their family. The assessments can be broad and comprehensive or address a specific area of concern.  

Have a question? Read our common questions document below:

I was recommended to pursue a psychoeducational assessment, but what if I am concerned about more than just academic functioning? If you also would like to explore additional areas of concern, such as mental health, a comprehensive assessment may be a better fit. Additionally, if WonderTree staff feel a more comprehensive assessment or different type of assessment would be helpful during the course of a psychoeducational assessment, this will be discussed with you in order to help make a plan that best fits your goals and needs.

When will I receive the final report? In most cases you will receive your report within a month of your feedback session.

When should I get a reassessment? Reassessment during times of transition, such as prior to entering high school or out of highschool into post-secondary/work are often recommended. Also, if you feel like there have been significant changes in functioning, a reassessment prior to these times of transition may be helpful. For post-secondary purposes it is recommended around grade 11, or once a student turns 16. This allows clinicians to use “adult” based testing which post secondary institutions tend to prefer. However, there is utility to assessment before or after grade 11. Feel free to consult with our team to determine if this is the right time for reassessment.

I am transitioning into post-secondary education and I need support, what can I do? At WonderTree we acknowledge the importance of receiving the right supports from infancy to young adulthood. We strive to help youth gain a better understanding of themselves and their learning profile as they transition to adulthood. For youth who have had a prior assessment, or have not have a prior assessment but have been receiving informal supports in elementary and high school, a psychoeducational assessment may be helpful prior to the transition to secondary and/or the workplace. Assessments prior to post secondary can help students advocate for themselves and ensure they receive the academic supports they need in college or university. If you have had a prior assessment with a diagnosis, and an Individual Education Plan, you may be able to submit this to the school disability department. This may lead to interim accommodations (provided for a short period of time upon starting post-secondary) as you pursue an updated assessment. Students who qualify for OSAP funding may be able to access funding towards a new psychological assessment. Some students may also qualify for additional bursaries through the OSAP Students with Disabilities program (e.g. for mental health, technology, etc.) if they have a prior diagnosis. For further information please read the following: OSAP Students with Disabilities Program-

Do I need another assessment if I had one in elementary school or early high school? Many colleges and universities require an assessment that was completed within the last 3 years. Post secondary institutions will require these updated reports. Incoming students will not automatically receive the same accommodations at college or university that they received at high school. Once you transition to Post-Secondary, your support is through the Office of Students with Disabilities at the College/University. Unfortunately, most school boards do not provide “exit assessments” for students transitioning from high school to post secondary. It is worth checking with your schools academic support department if it is possible to receive on through them before reaching out to WonderTree.

How do I explain a psychological assessment to my younger child? We would encourage you to explain it to them in a developmentally approrpatie way for their age, such as "you are going to meet with a psychologist/psychometristwho are people that work with lots of kids and teens to help figure out how they learn best. In order to do this, you are going to do lots of different activities, like word games, building things, drawing, and some "school stuff". Most kids find a lot of the activities fun. When there are tricky things, you will just do a few of them and then move on to something else. You will be able to take breaks when needed and check in with mom/dad/caregiver when you feel like you need to"

How do I start an assessment?


Contact us using the form below


A family coordinator will help determine assessment type and schedule your appointment


Meet with one of our clinicians

Contact Us

One of our family coordinators will return your call/e-mail within 2 business days. Our family coordinators will help determine which service provider would be the right fit and assist in scheduling your appointment.


Your message has been sent! We will respond within 2 business days. Please check your spam/junk folder. 

bottom of page